Salt Tasting Event
A salt tasting event can be a fun way to try the different salt flavours found on this website and discover your new favourite for cooking. As mentioned on my salt varieties pages, different salts can have mild or stronger flavours. This can be a fun party to host and an alternative to fondue events. Here are the main steps:
- Purchase the 9 (as many as possible) salts mentioned on this site (brand names may vary)
- Purchase non-salted crackers and some citrus juice to mix with water for cleansing palette in-between each taste.
- A dish/tray for each guest for the salt. The dish should be large enough for 9 salts.
- Place a small amount of each salt in a dish for each guest to try. They can taste it by taking a little between their fingers and then taste it with the tip of their tongue.
- Ask the guests to write down what flavours and textures they noticed. (Remember to cleanse the palette between each salt taste)
- Now here’s the fun part, try the salt on different foods. Examples are:
- Hard-boiled egg
- Your own choice
- Cut these foods into bite size pieces and then place them on a plate with each guest’s salt dishes.
- Guests should test salts with foods and compare notes. Discuss what works and what doesn’t.
- Afterwards, a nice parting gift for your guests is to put their favourite salts in clear sample containers for them to take home.